Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Murder on Music Row

I a little while back, I was having a conversation with a young lady about our tastes in music. Seeing that I was born in Alabama, and I've spent most of my life in the great state of Georgia, I have a natural affinity for country music and southern rock. I honestly don't think it gets any better than hearing George Strait sing "Amarillo by Morning" or Ronnie Van Zant mournfully wail about being "simple kind of man." Unfortunately this particular young lady didn't agree with me. She said, "I don't really like country music. You can't really dance to it or anything, but I do like Taylor Swift. She's country isn't she?" That last part of her statement is what really made me see red. I was polite when I explained to her that I thought Miss Swift is nothing more than a pop singer who is based out of Nashville, but in my head I was screaming, "No, no, no, a thousand times NO! Taylor Swift is not a country singer!"


This post doesn't have anything to do with the VMA incident, but I 'm obligated to use it, because I'm writing about Taylor Swift.

I realize that not all country fans are purists like I am, and I know that music evolves over time as well. Not everything can sound like Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and the boys. However, Taylor Swift, while admittedly talented, has absolutely no place on modern country radio for a number of reasons. She's from Pennsylvania (that's not in the South for those of you who didn't do too hot in 5th grade geography), she uses poorly matched literary references such as "you were Romeo/I was the scarlet letter" (so he's an impetuous youth, and you're an adultress?), and she's put a techno beat to some of her songs. This is a huge no-no in country music. Heck, if she were any less country, she'd be a member of the 1980s German pop band Nena.

To be fair, their 1983 song, "Vollmond," does have a rockabilly feel to it.

While all of the reasons listed contribute to my contempt for Taylor Swift, my primary gripe stems from the content of her songs. Most of her music deals with young love and the folly of youth. Normally, I wouldn't have any problem with this. Brad Paisley's "Letter to Me" deals with similar subject matter in a poignant manner that can only come from years of reflecting upon one's life. The problem with Miss Swift's music is the fact that she hasn't had adequate time to give any depth to her ruminations about high school and ex-boyfriends. You can't wax poetic about how young at naive you were at 15 when you're only 19 at the time of writing the song. Heck, I'm 21, and I don't think I'm mature enough to look back wistfully at my 10-year-old self. Because of the lack of temporal difference between her and her subject matter, Taylor Swift fails to truly reach the depth of emotion that Paisley and so many other great country musicians do when they sing similar songs. Instead of coming off as having the wisdom that can only be gained through the years, Taylor Swift seems more like an invention of Nashville who profits from the teen angst that belongs on Radio Disney and not in the Grand Ole Opry.


1 comment:

JS said...

Why is this not the top post?